Resilience in the face of adversity
One of the biggest challenges you will face as a founder is navigating the ups and downs of launching and building a start-up. Nothing in life is easy and unfortunately, the life of a start-up founder is no different. Many things will go wrong during this journey and that is absolutely okay! Every founder has to deal with problems that arise on an almost daily basis and keeping in control is of vital importance.
Here are some of the ways in which you can manage those tough times:
- Building a strong support network. A problem shared is a problem halved. Being open and transparent with your team, friends, and family is the best way to deal with the pressures of running a business. They will be able to help carry the burden, provide a shoulder to lean on and may be able to provide a new way of thinking that can help solve the challenge in front of you.
- Be willing to accept that there are some things that are not in your control. Sometimes things just happen even when you are best prepared and that is a part of life. Believing you can control everything will only make the stress worse. Instead focus on how you can best deal with the problem that has presented itself.
- Be aware that you are a brilliant human being. Never forget that you are incredibly capable and the fact that you are willing to build your own business takes a vast amount of courage. You put yourself into the ring and that is admirable in and of itself.
- Act decisively. When presented with a difficult problem, task, or challenge, it is easy to become overwhelmed and to delay making a difficult choice. This is the worst thing you can do. Instead think clearly, come to a decision and follow through with conviction. Lingering will only make the problem worse.
- Look after yourself. I cannot stress this enough. Running a business can be all-consuming at times and that will be to the detriment of your health both physical and mental. Make sure you are setting aside adequate time to prioritise yourself. Your business will be all the better for it if you are able to bring your A game!